Tampa Bay Property Management
Let Us Manage Your Tampa Bay Area Rental Property
When you step into the world of the professional Landlord, there are many complex legal requirements and risks that you must consider. On this page, you will find answers to your questions in a step-by-step guide about our management process and plenty of detailed information to help you in choosing the right Property Manager for your needs. We hope you will find that is us!
Phil J. Client Testimonial:
"I really can't compliment Rob and FPG enough for taking over my properties. He essentially turned what use to be a complete headache into a monthly bank transfer with no more tenant phone calls, scheduling service calls, and other persistent irritations. I actually considered selling most of my portfolio because of the difficulties with day to day management. Now the entire process is worry free. I'm actually traveling and enjoying life for the first time in years. Best decision I've make in a long time! Highly recommended!!!"
Tampa Bay area’s Fisher Properties Group provides full-service turn-key rental property management and real estate brokerage services. We have a long history and expertise in both the residential and commercial real estate industries.
Our specialty is property management of single-family rental homes, condos, duplexes and townhomes in the Tampa Bay area. We also manage commercial properties depending on the scope of your needs.
Our processes allow you to entrust your investment property to a competent experienced property management team to ensure the most efficient cash flow and protection of your investment – with minimal involvement by you! Isn’t that the point?
A summary of what we handle for you:
- Extensive marketing of your property (yard signs, website postings, pictures, video tour, showings, commissions)
- Assessing your property and recommendations to get your home into the best/required “rent-ready” condition.
- Screening tenants (credit, criminal background, eviction, employment/landlord verification checks)
- Have prepared and sign leasing documents on your behalf
- Move in/out and periodic inspections
- Repair and maintenance coordination, vendor payments
- Addressing/resolving tenant issues
- Security deposits, collecting rent, posting notices, processing evictions if necessary
- Monthly detailed statement and direct deposit of funds to the Owner, issuing accounting and 1099 statements for your annual tax filing
- Access to your online Owner portal for funds transfers and documents viewing/downloading
Inquire About Our Services
Craig C. Client Testimonial:
"FPG is the only Property Management Company for all of my rentals. Emails are returned very quickly. Reporting is accurate and timely. Monthly account deposits are two days earlier than my previous management company. They go out of their way to save you money on repairs, making only the necessary ones and charging the tenants for should be their responsibly. Rob and FPG truly WORK for you, the property owner. I highly recommend them."
Assessing your property:
One of the first things we need to do it assess your property for condition/access and see what needs/should be done to get it ready to rent and what that means to your likely rental rate. The law requires certain things when renting to a Tenant. Examples are: fire extinguishers and smoke detectors (and there’s more!). Also, there are practical “curb appeal” items that will make your home more attractive and easier to maintain (faster occupancy and faster/better cash flow!). We will guide you through this process as these items factor into the eventual fee structure for management. Some things we consider:
- Lawn or pool, sprinkler system
- Condition of exterior: lawn, roof, doors, windows, paint, HVAC
- Condition of interior: flooring, paint, appliances, bathrooms, fixtures
- Potential issue with plumbing, electrical, or other home systems
- Restrictions for your home (pet limitations for example)
- Waterfront? Pre-1978 construction? HOA community?
John K. Client Testimonial:
"Rob Fisher manages my property in Tampa, Florida. I am a resident of South Africa and have found him to give excellent service with regard to rent collection, finding new tenants when vacancies occur, upkeep of the property and prompt transfer of rents to my account. I can recommend his services to potential property investors."
Marketing your Home:
Technology plays a key role in efficiently competing to find the best tenants for your home. Pictures and video are a MUST. Also, most people are using mobile devices to search on-the-go as they drive around neighborhoods! Our marketing package is designed to maximize your exposure. The more competition you can attract, the faster it can get rented and for a higher rent.
- High quality pictures and full video tour walk through of your property. It’s like a 24/7/365 open house!
- Our company yard sign with website to find listing and tour on the spot
- Posting the rental listing to dozens of the most used rental search sites
- Responding to inquiries, qualifying interested parties and conduct showings
- Pay any Realtor commissions to Agents where incurred.
- Coordination with any HOA for access and/or application process required
Richard B. Client Testimonial:
Fisher Properties Group has done an outstanding managing an office property for us. We have special needs, as the property is owned by a family trust directed by an 88 year old matriarch. Rob Fisher has been a true professional, often taking on additional responsibilities and always performing as promised. He and FPG get our highest rating! "
One of the most important things to consider in renting your home is who will be living in it. ‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure’ as they say. We try to be very selective in choosing qualified tenants who will also treat the home as they would their own. While we cannot guarantee a problem-free tenant, this process has been very successful in securing high-quality tenants. In doing so, we screen applicants through the following process:
- Check with current/prior landlords for rental verification
- Verify the applicants' employment and income
- Pull the applicants' credit report
- Nationwide criminal search
- Eviction reports
- 50 state sex offender registry
We always abide by the Equal Housing Opportunity Laws, and we do not discriminate against anyone on the basis of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Handicap, Familial Status, National Origin or Age.
Laurel G. Client Testimonial:
"Rob at Fisher Properties has done a great job leasing and managing several residential properties we own over the past years. We have complete peace of mind knowing that he will deal promptly and effectively with the day-to-day issues that arise while keeping us in the loop on matters requiring our input."
Moving Tenants In and Out:
We’ve found a great qualified Tenant that wants to rent. Now what happens?
- We have leasing documents prepared by a law firm that specializes in Landlord/Tenant law and they only represent the Landlord. This is important because they are up to date on the latest law changes and terms for a lease and to afford you the best protections as an owner. The cost passed on to you is nominal ($45 at this time). This is a huge value to you and us as it allows either if us to call them and receive free consultation on any tenant-related matter BEFORE things get out of hand or move towards eviction.
- We will sign the lease documents on your behalf (by way of a Specific Power of Attorney that you execute with your management agreement)
- We conduct a move out inspection to assess the condition of the property compared to the condition when they moved in (documented by pictures and inspection form). Any deficiencies beyond normal wear and tear may be assessed to the Tenant moving out.
- Any repairs, cleaning, and touch ups needed are coordinated for the new tenancy.
- Security deposits are processed for any deductions and refunded to the Tenant. You will see these transactions on your Owner statement.
- During a tenancy, we coordinate a periodic inspection of the home. These important pictures and details leave no doubt in anyone’s mind the condition of the property.
- Document the lifespan and interior/exterior condition of the property, structure and major systems.
- An opportunity to inspect living conditions of a Tenant. If any violations are found or if they are not maintaining things required in the lease (such as lawn, AC filters etc.), corrective action can be taken and documented.
Luciana A. Client Testimonial:
"Rob is professional, dedicated, helpful, honest, and transparent with all property management dealings, He is upfront with issues and always ready to provide the tenants the best service possible giving the landlord peace of mind. Best choice I’ve made. I hope we will keep our business for a long time to come. "
Maintenance and Repairs:
This is a major part of successful property management. Service partners we use for repairs and maintenance play a key role in keeping your costs down and keeping happy tenants (lower turnover, and better cash flow). Not only does this service require a significant amount of time, but it also requires a very knowledgeable manager in the areas construction and home systems. Being able to properly prioritize and question repairs can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Multiple issues can sometimes be combined to save trips or the opposite – might even require 2 vendors (electric and plumbing are 2 separately licensed areas but intersect in areas like a hot water heater, garbage disposal, pool systems).
We have developed relationships with experts and licensed tradespeople for all your home needs. They are licensed and insured where required. Cost is important, but value and trust are more important. Smaller jobs are usually not bid by multiple bidders. There is a certain fixed cost and service charge for these jobs and many vendors will not bid them or will charge you a service charge to do so, thus negating the purpose. We do not make money from or charge you for normal repairs. It is passed through directly from the vendor. Or process works like this:
- We receive Tenant maintenance submissions via their Tenant portal/app
- Triage and delegate the issue to the appropriate service vendor
- If a repair item is estimated to be over your pre-approved repair limit (usually $500) we will contact you to discuss.
- Scrutinize the bill that is it correct and reasonable
- Service call summary is shown on your statement with the charges
- We do not recommend home warranties for rental properties. On paper it looks great but in practice as a Landlord it is a disaster. This is a longer conversation, but it boils down to this: You and I have NO control over pricing, timing, what vendor to use (remember trust and value?), quality of work. In nearly every case we have used one it has been the classic “nightmare” for all involved. This is a fast way to lose a tenant and/or go to court.
Tim C. Client Testimonial:
"FPG has managed my rental property for over 10 years. They are proactive in every phase of their operation; from vetting and securing new tenants to garnering the maximum rent based on local market conditions. They react quickly to tenant issues which are usually resolved without directly involving me - unless it is a major outlay. FPG has a large network of tradesmen so I always get a fair price for any needed repairs/replacements. I am thoroughly satisfied with their service."
We are a full-service professional management company. As members of the National Association or Residential Property Managers, we use the latest industry best practices and the technology to provide you with significant benefits and worry-free management.
- You can cancel the management agreement without penalty.
- We communicate and respond quickly to Tenants, Vendors and Owners to provide a high level of service
- We pay Owners quickly every month with direct ACH deposit
- Our maintenance system provides for efficient repairs through detailed electronic work orders and communication with Tenants
- Owners have access to detailed statements and annual tax documents through their online Owner Portal for viewing and downloads at any time.
If your first question to a Property Manager is “How much do you charge?”, we think you are asking the wrong question. It’s like asking a car dealer “How much is a car?”. It should really be the last question, once you consider what is required, what you need and what you are getting. There are many property managers out there of varying degrees. You may not need a full-service manager, but that it the level we provide. Or, you may be a hands-on owner best suited to manage your rental yourself, although I would never recommend that.
Our fees are structured to be as simple and transparent as possible for everyone. We have no interest in complicated agreements loaded with “gotchas” or nickel-and-dime add-ons. Like any service, we simply expect to be paid for our expertise and time. Our fee structure is two major buckets:
- Marketing Fee for finding a new tenant. This includes the initial assessment and all the marketing materials and efforts going into finding and securing a tenant, inspections up to the point of moving in AND all of the back-end work, inspections, documentation, and security deposit handling when a tenant moves out. This fee is a % of one month’s rent and depends on many factors such as age and condition of the property, expected rent rate, any HOA access/application requirements we must follow.
- We DO NOT charge fees for renewals of existing tenants. We negotiate the best deal to keep a good tenant in place and execute a renewal on your behalf. However, we do pass through the actual charges for lease preparations from the law firm ($45 currently).
- This fee IS incurred whenever a tenant moves out and we must incur the time and costs to market the property again and find a new tenant. This is why keeping tenants happy and keeping the best ones in place are in your best interest.
Monthly Management Fee. This begins when a new tenant moves in and the marketing process is complete. This includes all of the day-to-day issues that occur throughout the month like rent collection, repairs coordination, paying bills, tenant issues, accounting statements, etc. This also depends on many factors such as: Age and condition of the property, in an HOA or gated community, how many properties you have (discount there!), services required like pool and lawn, size of the property. Fees are going to be around 8%-10% of the monthly rent but please contact us to discuss before we can commit to the appropriate structure.
Marketing/Leasing Fee - Detailed Benefits and Services
- Assessment of your home and recommendations to get it into appropriate rental condition
- Coordination of “light” repairs such as handyman, paint touch ups, electrical, plumbing, interior/exterior cleaning, carpet cleaning, re-keying the locks, fire extinguisher, smoke detectors etc.
- Collection and review of any HOA or community rules and documents to determine restrictions/processes/fees required for renting and applications
- Collection of any existing service vendor information (pool, lawn etc.). Contact and discussion with each one, requesting/verifying appropriate documentation necessary (licenses, insurance etc), setting them up as vendors in our property management system for ongoing payment
- Collection of any warranty documentation on the home/contents
- Marketing photos of the property
- Marketing video walk through of the property
- Market assessment of comparable rentals and determination of market rent range
- Marketing the home for rent on the internet and sign in the yard where appropriate/allowed
- Collecting all inquiries from various internet sites, phone calls.
- Responding to all inquires with detailed pre-qualification questions
- Qualifying tenant prospect and scheduling a showing at the property in coordination with any existing tenant schedule
- Collecting and reviewing tenant application materials
- Collection/holding of tenant reservation/security deposit in escrow account
- Ordering the preparation of custom leasing documents specific to your property terms
- Review of leasing documentation and review with tenant for signature
- Issuing a tenant move-in package with welcome letter and details n the property, services included, and contacts
- Documentation of move-IN condition with full pictures and written inspection sheet (generally after this step, this process is complete and the “monthly management” begins until a move-out occurs)
- Issuing tenant move-out package detailing tips for complying with their responsibilities and security deposit conditions.
- Documentation of move-OUT condition with full pictures and written inspection sheet
- Assessment of tenant security deposit deductions, issuing notice of refund/deduction and processing refund check. Any deduction will credit to owner account to apply towards repairs.
- Back to #1 to start over again if needed in preparation for a new tenant.
- We do NOT charge a fee when the unit is empty so if rent doesn’t come to you, management fees don’t come to US!
Monthly Management Fee - Detailed Benefits and Services
- Receive rent electronically via each online Tenant Portal
- Track and follow up with any late/bounced payments, issue and post notices where required
- Collect and review any initial condition issues discovered after tenant moves in, coordinate resolution as needed
- Continuously qualify and maintain various vendor relationships to perform required/licensed services to the home
- Receive all communications from tenants, including maintenance issues via online Tenant Portal
- Review and resolve tenant issues (those phone calls at all hours!)
- Review maintenance options with vendor (and owner where needed on larger issues), create work orders and send to appropriate vendors and coordinate/track to completion
- Maintain schedule of regular periodic services such as lawn, pool, extermination services
- Receive invoices for repairs, scrutinize and review with vendor and tenant where needed for accuracy.
- Pay vendor electronically for repairs out of rent collected and/or reserve account for your property (for larger items, request a funds contribution from the home owner via their online Owner Portal)
- Maintain a reserve account for maintenance and repairs for each property (usually $500).
- Transfer net monthly proceeds to the owner by ACH direct deposit
- Provide and online Owner Portal for funds contributions and access to accounting statements
- Email and post a detailed monthly accounting statement to the Owner Portal (always available for viewing or printing)
- Prepare and mail/post end of year 1099 tax statement to the property owner and their portal
- Provide owners direct cell phone number to our company owner for all questions and issues.
- Reminder of tenant renewal timing and option towards end of term
- Market assessment of rent rates, tenant history, and offer of terms to tenant for renewal. If there is no renewal, we put the unit on the market around 60 days from end of lease.
- Preparation of necessary renewal documentation, communication and review with tenant and signing (no renewal admin fees are charged to you by us!). However, every 2-3 years, a new lease may need to be drafted and incur the nominal lease drafting fee ($45 now) to keep leases current with any new changes in leasing law.
- Coordinate an affordable annual inspection by a professional inspection company (around $120 – Optional but recommended). This documents the condition of all areas of the property and helps identify current/future problems.
Ready to Talk? Contact us or call directly at 404-488-9998 in Tampa
Q: Can’t I manage my own property instead of hiring a property management professional?
A: You can. You can also do your complicated taxes or defend yourself in court. But, how much is your time and risk worth? Besides the obvious time and attention it requires, there is a large amount of risk in trying to be a Landlord. Landlord/Tenant law is tilted in the tenant’s favor in Florida and most states. The government is involved in everything nowadays, including this. Laws change every year. An unprofessional is likely doing many things wrong with each tenant. Illegal leases, not providing proper notices, improper or illegal terms and procedures, taking shortcuts. Each time you do not follow procedure, you create a stronger and stronger potential “waiver defense” for a tenant later. This means, by not enforcing the terms of the lease EVERY TIME, you are setting precedent that the terms do not apply and therefore, cannot be enforced later “just when you feel like it”. Much like running across a busy street with your eyes closed, maybe you get lucky for a while and you don’t know the difference…until one day, your luck runs out. You can easily end up in court, likely to lose and have damages against you, have a tenant you can’t get out, get liens placed against your property, and sustain large physical and financial losses to your property. Like any high risk situation, it all goes fine…until it doesn’t.
Q: Who prepares your leases and legal documents?
A: Our leases and notices are prepared at a very reasonable cost by a law firm that specializes only in representing Landlords. They are experts in the current law and also become a consultation resource for the Owner directly while we are your Manager. Also, by using their documents, they will defend these documents and represent you/us in any related legal action (for a fee). Using generic forms should not be done. They can easily be out of date or not applicable to Florida or local laws.
Q: Do you manage Condos too?
A: Yes, in certain cases. Condo Associations’ varying rules and red tape present some unique challenges.
Q: Do you rent for short term or vacations?
A: No. Typically one-year leases but no less than 6 months.
Q: How does the property management service work?
A: We discuss the property and your situation. We then execute a Property Management Agreement which spells out the terms and fees of the service, then execute a Specific Power of Attorney which allows us to sign leases on your behalf. Once we get started, we take care of everything from there. You receive an emailed statement and a direct deposit for rent proceeds minus any repairs and management fees.
Q: Do I need to be or can I be involved?
A: No. We offer a total turn-key service. Once the terms of the management agreement are agreed, we manage the property and the owner is not involved until such time you decide to terminate the agreement, sell the property etc. This is in the best interest of the owner (versus too many” cooks in the kitchen”) in order to allow efficient management, consistency to tenants, and more consistent cash flow.
Q: What do you handle for me?
A: Among other things, we market your property, take applications, screen tenants, have prepared and sign leases on your behalf, perform move in/out inspections, receive all maintenance and emergency requests from tenants, collect rent, hold security deposits, coordinate all maintenance and repairs necessary, receive bills and pay maintenance vendors, collect any damages from tenant security deposits, process evictions if necessary, direct deposit your net proceeds into your bank account, send electronic monthly and year-end accounting statements and 1099s. If the timing is right for you, we can also sell your property for you whether it is vacant or occupied with a tenant.
Q: How do you screen applicants?
A: All adults are required to pass criminal background, credit, eviction, and income verification checks.
Q: What don’t you handle in the property management services for me?
A: We do not pay your property or other taxes, HOA or Condo association dues, or any utilities that may be required to stay in the owner’s name.
Q: Who decides what rent is charged?
A: We decide how much rent is charged based on various criteria such as current market conditions, local supply and demand, nearby comparables, the quality and credit of a tenant, the term of lease, and the condition of your property.
Q: Do you collect property management fees when the property is vacant?
A: No. We only charge management fees from rents collected. Therefore, our incentive is aligned with yours. We strive to keep the property occupied with the highest quality tenant at the highest allowable rent.
More Reviews From Owners
Thomas B. Client Testimonial:
"Great experience with managing my property while stationed overseas. Even during a difficult tenant situation, Fisher Properties was there for me every step of the way! Thanks! "
Bob C. Client Testimonial:
Two issues arose with my condominium during the first year it was leased. First there was a stopped up kitchen sink. Rob had his plumber on site quickly before a small problem became something worse. Next the washing machine quit and was unrepairable. Rob coordinated the install with my chosen vendor, the installer and the tenant to everyones satisfaction.
Finally Rob secured a new tenant for my condominium before the previous tenant moved out. Not having a long gap in my rental income is very much appreciated."
Janette D. Client Testimonial:
"I feel my properties are very well managed. Fisher Properties Group is committed to serving their clients. I highly recommend them to any property owner."
Chip W. Client Testimonial:
Rob has been managing a rental property for me for about 1.5 years. He is always quick to answer any inquiries I have about property repairs, lease renewal, etc. Any time I have had to leave a message he has always returned my call within a very short time. When there have been repairs needed he has always handled them quickly and with very little disruption to the tenant or myself. His fee to manage the property is actually a little below the standard rate in our area, so that is a nice bonus. Overall I have been completely satisfied with Rob’s performance as my property manager."
Azita Z. Client Testimonial:
"Fisher Properties always did their best to keep customers on both ends happy. If there was any need for repairs, big or small, they attended to repairs immediately and gave feed back. I wish to continue working with Fisher Properties. "
Marion M. Client Testimonial:
"Rob Fisher is the best property manager I have ever had. He took care of every detail with utmost professionalism. Every problem that came up was handled immediately. Repairs were done with great quality of workmanship. If you need a property manager, look no further than Rob Fisher Properties. "
Robert HD G. Client Testimonial:
"You need to give Fisher Properties a chance to manage for you. Smart and professional. "
Linda R. Client Testimonial:
"It is a pleasure to deal with someone as professional and expedient as Rob. We would highly recommend him to anyone needing property management expertise. "
Fredrick M. Client Testimonial:
"I have been with both Fisher Properties Group and Century 21 Fisher and Associates now for over 7 years. This team of real estate professionals have enabled my wife and I to buy more properties with peace of mind knowing that our Florida property is in great hands. I highly recommend this company to everyone seeking property management or seeking to purchase property. "
Rukhsana D. Client Testimonial:
"Working with them more than 5 years. Never had complained. In spite of living outside USA, they are always quick and in time to response, approachable, helpful and dependable. will strongly recommend without any reservation. "
Tampa Bay Area Information
Tampa Bay" is not the name of any municipality. This misconception probably stems from the names of several local professional sports franchises (including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tampa Bay Rays, and Tampa Bay Rowdies) which seek to draw support from the entire Tampa Bay Area, the hub of which is the city of Tampa. Tampa Bay is actually a large, natural harbor and estuary along the Gulf of Mexico on the west central coast of Florida, comprising Hillsborough Bay, Old Tampa Bay, Middle Tampa Bay, and Lower Tampa Bay.
The area commonly identified as “Tampa Bay” is probably best defined as the land masses connected by the various bridges that span Tampa Bay:
- Sunshine Skyway Bridge: spans the mouth of Tampa Bay from Bradenton on the south to St. Petersburg on the north (part of I-275).
- Gandy Bridge: spans Old Tampa Bay from Tampa on the east to St. Petersburg on the west (the first road bridge to link Hillsborough and Pinellas counties).
- Howard Frankland Bridge: spans the middle of Old Tampa Bay from Tampa on the east to St. Pete on the west (part of I-275).
- Courtney Campbell Causeway: spans northern Old Tampa Bay from Tampa on the east to Clearwater on the west.
- Bayside Bridge: runs roughly parallel to the western shore of Old Tampa Bay from Largo on the south to Clearwater on the north.
The warm waters, temperate weather and variety of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors make Tampa Bay an ideal place for residents of all ages. A home in Tampa Bay places one a short distance from boating, fishing, golf, and cycling year-round. Just need a place to relax? Within twenty minutes you can be under an umbrella at some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Love sports? Tampa is home to Super Bowl Champions the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Stanley Cup Champions the Tampa Bay Lightning, MLB's Tampa Bay Rays, horse racing, greyhound racing, and MLB spring training. There are many art studios, music theaters, museums, children's museums, and much more.
Areas We Serve
- South Tampa
- Harbour Island
- Davis Island
- Hyde Park
- Palma Ceia
- Citrus Park
- Town N Country
- New Tampa
- Tampa Palms